Monday, May 16, 2011

Summer project 1 finished! Well, kinda...

So, I was really in a mood to sew when I got back from class today. I've had a hard, and emotional weekend and really wanted some "me" time. So, I got home, made a sandwich, and turned on some HGTV (I am addicted and I am in love with David Bromstad, if he was straight my husband would have some major competition, lol!!). If I don't eat before I sew, I will forget and get physically sick. Plus, I have to have some background noise.

Anyway, I decided to start on the curtains, the easiest of my projects. So, I pulled out my fabric, iron, scissors, and machine and off I went! It took me about 3 hours to make them with ironing, cutting some by hand, re-threading my bobbin and measuring and remeasuring, but it was so nice to start and finish a project in one sitting! It has been sooo long since I have been able to do that! (In reality, I should have worked on homework... but, like I said, I was in desperate need of "me" time!)

After I finished the curtains, I went to hang them up... Now, these curtains are hanging on the door to my sewing room. The doors are beautiful, and have glass panes, but unfortunately, since it is also our guest room, our guests don't have much privacy. Light bulb! Well, I thought I had enough to cover both doors, and when I measured, I knew it would be tight. I just didn't realize how tight until I went to hang them...

So, comes the "well, kinda" part of the title of my blog. What I ended up doing was Putting both panels on one rod to give it a little fullness and cover the panes completely. It looks great! But, now I have to go buy 4 more hooks, 2 more rods, 2 more yards of each fabric, and do it all again... At least this last time I won't have to sew 2 different panels, so that will save some time! Lol, live and learn ;)

So, here is the finished product:
From inside my sewing room looking into the hall (see my snoopy kitties outside the door? Hehe!):



From the hall:


The good thing is that I got the fabric from Wal-Mart, so it's cheap and should only cost about $15 for all the supplies. I don't usually buy fabric from there, since it's not very good quality, but for this, I didn't want to spend too much. Now, I am really glad I decided to do that! Next on my to-do list is the Abbey bag (pin cushion with bag) for my friend. Who knows when I will get the time, but I will make it work ;)

Hope you all had a great day! It snowed here and then turned to sunshine, I love having all 4 seasons here, but really?! Snow?! Lol!
Holly

1 comment:

  1. Wow at least you got the one window done! And it looks good!

    ReplyDelete